Thursday, June 7, 2012

Abigel's Name Day


Feb. 16, 2012

I wanted to share with you all about the awesome surprise I had one week ago today and that was my Hungarian name day :)

I know you all might be interested to know what the heck this is because it's a European traditional celebration of names but basically...
each day of the calendar in many European countries has a name or names connected to it and it happens that there is a Hungarian version of my name which is Abigel, so I celebrated my day, which was February 9! It is kind of like a birthday, people give small gifts and wish you happy nameday (boldog névnappot) and that's it.

But I mentioned to my roommate Alyssa that I have never had a surprise party before, (like months ago) and she remembered and planned me the best party ever. It was even better than my birthday.

It began with my friend and translator Adam picking me up at my flat for an afternoon of hot chocolate at our favorite place called the Mives (10 points for the person who can correctly pronounce that!), where Tibi makes you very personalized cups of tea and hot chocolate and decorates them with perfection. You may remember my blog post about this place, I fondly call it the "Hot Chocolate Hideaway." It is filled with odd trinkets and board games, not to mention old Hungarian books and money; and Tibi is the hippie artist owner of the place..he wears John Lennon glasses :)

Then we came home and I was completely astonished to find my flat filled with about 20 of my students from different classes and both schools I teach at, all there to celebrate with me :) Alyssa did a great job and I couldn't have been happier.

The video of my surprise is below:







No comments:

Post a Comment