Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Hot Chocolate Hideaway

I found another e-mail that I sent my family from October, the first time I visited the Mives Cafe, one of my favorite coffee places in the city, reading this made me realize how thankful I am for this place and for Tibi, who always makes my life feel pleasant when I sit among all of his old book and typewriters for hours.
"Hi Family,
I just met maybe my favorite Hungarian tonight in his cozy hot chocolate hideaway (as I am calling it). It is this tiny little tea house next to an art gallery in Miskolc and it is covered, ceiling to floor, with odd trinkets and just random things. We had tea and homemade hot chocolate that was THE BOMB. Mine was white chocolate with ginger, lemon, and a hint of Gin. Sounds like a weird combo but this man obviously knows what he is doing.
He speaks some English and told us about his crazy journey to the Grand Canyon when he visited the U.S. where he only ate welfare peanut butter for 3 weeks AND he is an amazing artist and teaches a ceramics course at the University. His wife was born in New York and moved to Hungary with her grandmother when she was 4 years old. She knows some English but she lost the English that she knew before. I told him that we would help her to remember it. So he is our new little friend and we are planning on making many visits to the "hot chocolate hideaway." 
Love everybody,
XOXO

The photo below is at the Mives..
Tibi is in the background of the photo with the glasses, beard, and beanie.





2 comments:

  1. This place is our favourite too. Unfortunately, Tibi (the owner) has broken his leg last weekend :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! When I saw him last Thursday he had been in a bike accident too so he has been very unlucky recently... :( We must visit him soon!

      Delete